Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 24

Week One

Well, to all of you wondering if i had made it alive, i did. I´ve spent the past five days in Argentina and love it! The rest of my plane ride went well, i met an elderly ´Mendozina´or someone from Mendoza who was also waiting for the same flight as myself. She spoke no english and i spoke no espanol but we ended up hanging out for two hours anyways. By the end of our time together we had breakfast together, she bought me a coffee, she tried to get the airport people to let me sit in first class with her, and she tried inviting me to visit her in my time in Argentina. She was sweet.



After leaving the plane customs was simple and I easily found the people waiting for me (Simon, one of our teachers and Martine, the base director). The first thing i noticed about Mendoza was the poverty. I mean, this isn´t a third world country but they are most certainly lacking. When i made it to the base it was a tiny bit different from what i expected, but not too much. It was once a farm and still has pigs, horses, goats, a donkey.. and similar animals. (and that was an incomplete sentence.) There are many trees and in the early morning with fog it looks very pretty. However one thing i was not expected is when they pulled up to this.... brick tower and told me it was where i would be staying. hahahaha. when you go in to this scary looking building, there is a cement floor, old table, a bed, a huge wooden dresser, a bathroom and stairs to the upstairs which is simply an open room with a bed and shelving unit. hehe, i´ll have to get a picture and post it because you can´t understand how ridiculous it looks. i really thought Simon was joking when he told me thats where i would be staying. Luckily enough though, it was only temporary and last night i moved out to a really nice cabin. I´m staying with three other girls in my bedroom and the other room is for Vive and her son. Then we have a living room and kitchen and nice big patio. Its really nice.



On the base there is another dts (Futbol dts) staff members and other random people involved with the base whom i have only begun to meet. In the Futbol dts (by the way.. i know how to spell football.. futbol is soccer) there are many people who speak english and even a handfull of americans. They´re all very sweet people, but they´re leaving for their outreach to South America in less than two weeks. Of the staff at least half of them speak spanish or can at least communicate. In my dts there are no americans, everyone speaks spanish but only two people speak english. haha. and neither are in my cabin. However, once again i´m giong to look at this, which would commonly be called inconvenient.. a good thing. in the past few days my spanish has increased significantly and i know that wouldn´t be possible without my inability to use english. Its quite wonderful, i have to say.

The schedule we have takes up just about every hour in our day except for our precious three free hours which are used by taking showers and doing homework. The weekends are open and are the only time we can go to the city, which is where i get internet. Basically what i´m attempting to imply is that i can only blog on weekends. And i´ve completely run out of time and theres so much more i want to tell you. But there is no time so it will wait until next week.

ps. i left the battery to my camera in america so im going to have to figure out a way to take pictures. i´ll get them up eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment